- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup water
- 2 oz Irish whiskey
- ½ oz cranberry juice (unsweetened)
- ½ small blood orange
- 2-3 oz ginger beer
- Dash of angostura bitters
- 4-5 whole cloves
- Make honey syrup:
- Add the honey and water to a small nonstick pot and heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the honey is fully dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to a mason jar or similar container. For any syrup you don't use in the recipe below, store it in this container in the fridge for up to 1 month.
- Carefully slice off thin strips, roughly 3 inches long, of the blood orange's rind, then squeeze the blood orange into a small bowl, removing all seeds.
- Add the whiskey, cranberry juice, bitters, ½ oz of the blood orange juice, and ½ - 1 oz of the honey syrup (depending on how sweet you want your drink) to a cocktail shaker with some ice and shake vigorously.
- Add an ice cube to a small cocktail glass, then strain the mixture from the cocktail shaker into the glass.
- Top the drink off with the ginger beer and gently stir to combine.
- Push the cloves through one of the blood orange rind strips, twist and squeeze the rind over the glass, then place it in the drink and enjoy!
Notes:Feel free to adjust the ratios of these ingredients to your taste, especially the amounts of honey syrup, ginger beer, and bitters. Everyone's tastes are different, who am I to declare how sweet or bitter or carbonated your drink should be?