Shrimp Ceviche Lettuce Wraps
- 1 lb peeled and deveined raw medium thawed shrimp
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ large red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ large tomato, diced
- ¼ large cucumber, diced
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 2-3 limes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Romaine hearts or butter lettuce heads (leaves separated), for serving
- 1 Avocado, sliced, for serving (optional)
- Place onion slices in a small bowl with the cold water and 1 tsp salt (this will mellow out the onions). Stir to combine evenly.
- After 10 minutes, rinse onion slices well, drain, and set aside.
- While the onion slices sit in salt water, bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the shrimp for about 2 minutes or until cooked through.
- Immediately remove the shrimp from the heat, transfer to a bowl of cold water (to halt the cooking process), and set aside.
- After the shrimp has cooled, chop into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine the onion slices, tomato, cilantro, cucumber, chopped shrimp, and lime juice from 2 limes (add the third if needed).
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.
- Serve in lettuce wraps and top with avocado (optional).
- Buen apetito!
Notes:This recipe comes courtesy of my friend Karen.
I love this recipe so much because of how simple it is to make. Besides its simplicity and delicious taste, it is also low carb, gluten-free, and healthy! It is the perfect summer recipe that can be enjoyed for lunch or dinner. Although, not going to lie, sometimes I even make it during the winter as well ;). There are far more complex shrimp ceviche (or more authentic) recipes out there, but this recipe is for those who do not want to read through 20 ingredients and 20 cooking instructions. This is just an easy, peasy, healthy shrimp ceviche recipe for all :).
P.S. If you MUST have carbs with this recipe (because if you don't, you will die and there's no coming back from that), a simple side of plain, white rice does the trick! :D
P.P.S. I am "you." I cannot live without carbs and I will die. Ha!