- 5 avocados
- 1 medium tomato
- ⅓ medium red onion
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1 lime
- 1 handful cilantro
- ½-1 tsp kosher salt, to taste
- ½ tsp black pepper, to taste
- ¼ tsp paprika
- Optional: 1 jalapeño
- Tortilla chips to serve with
- Slice each avocado in half, dice each half in its skin, then scoop the avocado pieces into a large bowl.
- Dice the tomato, finely dice the onion, and press the garlic in a garlic press. Add all three items to the avocado.
- Using a large fork, mash the avocado mixture until no large pieces remain but still a slightly chunky texture (not fully smooth).
- Zest and juice the lime into the avocado mixture.
- Roughly chop the cilantro, then add it to the avocado mixture along with the salt, pepper, and paprika (and jalapeño if you're using one).
- Stir the mixture to combine evenly, then taste with one of the chips you plan to serve it with. Season to taste, and add more of any of the ingredients if desired. Serve with tortilla chips.
Notes:As written, this is a very standard no-nonsense guacamole recipe. You can easily use this as a base guacamole and experiment with adding additional ingredients.
I usually add a sprinkle of cayenne pepper and garlic powder. Feel free to omit the jalapeño if you don't like your guacamole to have a kick.
Try adding a handful of pomegranate seeds if you want an unexpected twist!